ST. Mary's School WHAT WE BELIEVE
The ultimate goal of St. Mary's is to serve the people in Avoyelles Parish. Parents from surrounding communities choose to send their children to St. Mary's. With this in mind, the school strives to serve the interest of all who are a part of the assembly.
The total educational and spiritual development of the child is the primary focus of the school. The primary goal of the faculty and staff of St. Mary's is to ensure that each child attending the school will grow to his/her maximum potential. We believe that each individual should be free to practice his/her value system with knowledge and conviction so that these values, in order to live a good christian life and enjoy god's presence for all eternity.
In order to attain our primary goal and the reason for the existence of St. Mary's Assumption School, we endeavor to adhere strictly to the Catholic philosophy of education and to provide an environment in which excellence can prevail. Hence, our seven basic beliefs may be summarized as follows:
1. We believe that St. Mary's Assumption School is committed to carry on the three dimensions of education ministry to the CHURCH:
a) To announce the Message revealed by God, which the church proclaims
b) To build fellowship in the life of the Holy Spirit
c) To give service to the christian community and the entire human community. (TO TEACH AS JESUS DID)
2. We believe that every individual is a unique human being that deserves acceptance, respect, dignity, and freedom. We exist primarily to serve our Catholic faith and morality. Students are expected to actively participate in all academic and religious endeavors at St. Mary's School. However, our school is open to all faiths and we respect their beliefs.
3. We believe that christian justice should be evident in all of our dealings with one another and with our students.
4. We believe that prayer is an essential part of our school day and that atmosphere should encompass our thoughts, words, and actions throughout the day.
5. We believe that we should form bonding relationships with one another and with our students. We believe that our students and their parents should have a stake in our school, feel that we are offering them a Christian education of a high caliber, and that we truly care about them.
6. Specifically, we strive to provide a positive educational environment and religious educational programs that are particularly conducive to the growth of the total child.
7. We believe that our faculty, the parents, the members of our parish and civic community must continue to work together in a unified effort in order to instill our young people, with the skills, concepts, values, and attitudes which are necessary for happy and successful Christian lives.
Even though St. Mary's Assumption School endeavors to offer to each individual the opportunities that he/she needs to take his/her place successfully in society, nevertheless, we believe that each individual has an obligation to himself/herself and to the society in which he/she lives. The child needs to take advantage of these opportunities so that he/she may become a responsible, contributing member, be fulfilled and happy on earth and above all, attain life everlasting.
We also believe that the home has the primary responsibility for all phases of the child's growth and that the school assumes varying degrees of responsibility for each of these phases at different times in the student's life.
We are committed to carry out our responsibilities to the best of our ability and we have the utmost confidence that the parents are endeavoring to fulfill their responsibilities in a most cooperative relationship.